Old Grocery House B&B, Melrose,
01896 823754 or 07831 634681
Attractions/Places of Interest
Walking in the Scottish Borders
St. Cuthberts Way
The beautiful landscape of the Scottish Borders accommodates a number of recognised walks including St. Cuthberts Way, leading from Melrose to Holy Island (Lindasfarne).
Southern Upland Way
The Southern Upland Way is a Coast to Coast walk from Portpatrick passing through Melrose and finishing in Cockburnspath Berwickshire.
Border Abbeys Way
This circular route covers many Borders Towns & Villages but ultimately the four Borders Abbeys which are Melrose Abbey, Dryburgh Abbey, Kelso Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey.
Fishing in the Scottish Borders
Famous for Salmon Fishing is the River Tweed, a 5 minute walk away from Old Grocery House Bed and Breakfast. The Salmon Fishing season on the Tweed is the longest in the U.K. opening on February 1st and closing on November 30th. Some of the finest Salmon Pools and Beats are a short distance from Melrose.
Cycling in the Scottish Borders
There is a fantastic network of quiet country roads with spectacular views of the surrounding Border countryside and a 20 minute drive away is Glentress, famous for it's superb and sometimes "challenging" forest trails and Downhill Mountain Biking courses.
Golf in the Scottish Borders
"Border Country" is Golfers paradise with an abundance of exceptional and relatively "quiet" courses including two Championship courses, Cardrona and Roxburghe. With many nine & eighteen hole courses such as Galashiels, St. Boswells, Minto, Lauder and Peebles, a short drive away.
Places of Interest
Whether your break is active or passive, Melrose and the wider Scottish Borders has so much to offer. You may wish to visit some or all of these superb locations:
- Melrose Abbey - a 2 minute walk from Old Grocery House
- Melrose R.F.C. - the home of Melrose 7's rugby
- Abbotsford House - Ancestral home of Sir Walter Scott www.scottsabbotsford.com
- Floors Castle - home of the Duke of Roxburghe
- Thirlstane Castle Lauder
- Mellerstain House - Stately Home in Berwickshire
- Harmony House - home of The Borders Book Festival
- Roman Heritage Museum - Melrose
- Trimontium Roman Camp - Melrose
- Mary Queen of Scots House - Jedburgh
- Smailholm Tower - Smailholm near Kelso
- Bowhill House - Home of the Duke of Buccleuch